Temperatures have been soaring lately, and your air conditioner probably hasn’t had a break in weeks. Constantly running your home’s cooling system can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but during the dog days of summer, you don’t have much of a choice unless you want to sacrifice your family’s comfort and put them at risk for heat related illnesses.
Fortunately, there’s a lot that you can do to conserve energy without any risk or discomfort. Here are a few ways that the whole family can chip in to reduce energy consumption and lower bills so you have more money for fun stuff – like a late summer vacation!
How to Save on Summer Energy Costs
Every Day Energy Saving
Simple habits that you and your family don’t think much about could be wasting a lot of energy and costing you a lot of money. Making some changes could make a huge difference:
- Make sure fans, lights and HVAC systems are turned off when you leave your home.
- Unplug electrical devices when not in use.
- Turn off power strips when not in use.
- Don’t use the oven unless absolutely necessary. Use your microwave instead.
- Stay cool by using fans, wearing lightweight clothes and staying well hydrated.
- Keep your blinds and curtains closed to block out the sun during the day.
When you’ve made the simple changes and you still aren’t seeing as much of a savings as you’d like, there are several larger projects you can take on to drastically reduce your energy consumption.
- Install a tankless water heater to avoid the expense of heating water when you don’t need it.
- Install ceiling fans to circulate the air in your home and save on energy year-round.
- Upgrade to a programmable thermostat so you only need to cool rooms that are in use.
- Replace your light bulbs with LED bulbs.
- Have your air ducts cleaned. Dirty air ducts force your HVAC to work harder and consume more energy.
- Schedule a home energy audit.
If you are tired of spending too much on your energy bills during the summer, contact Triple Service to schedule a home energy audit. We will assess your HVAC system to see if it is functioning properly. We can also help you find other potential energy problems in your home. Once we know where your energy consumption problem lies, we will make recommendations to help you reduce your usage.
At Triple Service, our technicians are friendly, highly trained professionals who are passionate about the work they do. To learn more or to schedule a service call, please call!