Water is one of our most precious resources, but it’s also something we take for granted way too often. Of all the water on the planet, a mere 1% is available for use by humans. And before we can use that water, it needs to be treated and transported. In the US, we are incredibly fortunate not to have to worry much about having water when we need it, but it’s still important to conserve this vital resource as much as possible. In addition to easing the burden on your wallet, taking steps to reduce your consumption helps the environment.
During the summer, pools, sprinklers and hoses contribute to increased water contribute to increased consumption in many households. Here are just a few simple steps you can take to reduce summer water consumption.
How to Reduce Summer Water Consumption
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the average American family uses more than 10,000 gallons of water monthly. How can you scale back your consumption? Let’s take a look at a few options:
- Set your mower to cut your grass to 1.5 to 2 inches. Taller grass is better at retaining moisture and requires less frequent mowing.
- Water your plants before sunrise or after sunset to minimize evaporation.
- Use leftover water from glasses and pet bowls to water plants rather than pouring it down the drain.
- Install downspouts, and use them to collect rainwater to use for watering your garden and plants.
- Don’t overfill your swimming pool. When you overfill, water will get splashed out, and you will find yourself refilling frequently.
- Inspect your pool for leaks, and repair any you find right away.
- Keep your pool covered when not in use to minimize evaporation.
- Fill a bucket with soapy when washing your car instead of leaving the hose running the entire time.
- Use fountains and waterfall features sparingly.
- Use a broom to sweep dirt and debris from sidewalks and patios instead of hosing them off.
- Check your home for plumbing leaks regularly, and having even small leaks repaired immediately.
- Locate your water shut-off valves, and learn how to use them.
At Triple Service, we are here to help you conserve water during the summer and throughout the rest of the year. From water-saving fixtures to fast, affordable leak repair, we have what you need to lower your water bill and reduce you impact on the environment. Call 559-785-2490.
Subscribe to Triple Service Inc's Blog